On the 28th of January, 1828 that part of Yazoo County east of the Big Black River was established as Madison County. Canton, the center of the county, was designated the third county seat on the 27th of March, 1834.
The Christians of this new community worshiped both together and as separate denominations in the union church located on West North Street one block north of the square.
The Baptist church of Canton was organized by Reverend John W. Buie in November, 1843. The founders were five men:
M. M. Bass, L. B. Henry, C.P. Wadlington, Wh. Wadlington, Rev. Joseph Sorsby.
And nine women: Mary Bass, Lucy Dinkins, Elizabeth Dinkins, Louise Henry, Mary Jane Muse, Lucinda Slaughter, Margaret Sorsby, Margaret Wadlington, Mary Wadlington.
In December, 1843 Reverend Burrell B. Barnes was called as the First Pastor.
In 1852 a neat and commodious frame building with a steeple was built on the corner of Liberty and Fulton Streets. In June, 1860 the church was named First Baptist Church of Canton.
This building was replaced in 1918 with the first brick church building in Canton. The growth of the membership and expanding ministry made it possible to build the elementary building in 1951. The educational building in 1960 and the family life center in 1980.